Death of Ursula Mary Hubbard

23rd May 2018

We write to let readers know that Ursula Hubbard died peacefully on Friday 18 May.  Widow of the late Lionel Acton-Hubbard, Ursula Mary Vine was born in High Wycombe on 22 February 1932.  Being the daughter of Pastor A C Vine, Ursula was educated in various parts of the British Union but completed her secondary education at Wesley College, Dublin. 

After finishing school Ursula worked at the Stanborough Press, then on Stanborough Park, for a month before taking up a position at the South England Conference (SEC) as a junior accounts clerk. In September 1949 Ursula left and went to Shrodells Hospital in Watford when she completed training as a State Registered Nurse before doing Midwifery training at Bearstead Memorial Hospital in Hampton Court.

After marrying Lionel, in June 1954, she joined him on mission service at the Jengre Hospital in Northern Nigeria where she worked as a nurse.  IMG_0774-002In October 1955 the couple moved to the Kwahu Hospital in Ghana where Ursula was Director of Nursing.  It was during their time at Kwahu that the family increased with the birth of Estelle Loraine in December 1955 and Paula and Cheryl in July 1957.

In 1963 the family returned to the British Union and Lionel took up the position of Assistant Superintendent at the Stanboroughs Sanitarium in Watford, while Ursula worked there as a nurse until the Stanboroughs was closed in August 1968.  Lionel was called to serve as Director of Relief for the joint Northern European Division / Action Red Cross programme in Biafra in 1968. When Lionel returned to the British Union in March 1969 he was asked to serve as Health Education 'Secretary', what today would be known as the Health Ministries director.

In September 1976 Lionel was asked to locate to the Crieff Sanitarium and Hydro in Scotland where he worked as Health Educator.  Ursula took up the post of Matron at the Crieff Sanitarium until they again moved south in September 1978 when Lionel was asked to serve the SEC as Health Education and Communication Secretary, a position he held until retirement in 1988.

After retirement Lionel and Ursula lived for a time in Bramcote, Nottingham where Lionel sadly died in July 1999.  Ursula continued to live in Bramcote until 2004 when she moved to Pwllheli in Wales before moving back to Crieff in Scotland in 2006. 

Ursula was always active in church until in recent years when she was no longer able to be involved due to her deteriorating health. 

Our thoughts and prayers are extended to Loraine, Paula and Cheryl and their families and to the wider family and church friends.

The funeral will be held in the Crieff Seventh-day Adventist church on Thursday 31 May at 12:00 noon.

Donations in lieu of flowers can be made to ADRA-UK.

[Paul Lockham]

Filter your news by region

The Messenger

Messenger vol 123 Issue 20

12th October 2018 Our Doors Always Open

View previous issues

From around the world

Headlines from other Adventist news sources